The World Health Organization describes mental health as a state of well-being where an individual identifies his potential. For example, a person can work productively, do something that can help the community, and cope with the worries and challenges that life could bring.
To function efficiently, the body and mind must be healthy, and they must work as one. If one of these becomes damaged or abnormal, all body parts won’t be as effective.
Mental health is commonly ignored. People work out or go on a diet to be fit and physically healthy, yet mental health is not part of their primary goal.
Mental health doesn’t simply mean being free from mental health illness. Instead, it is a crucial facet of an individual’s general wellness because if you are mentally unhealthy, all the other parts of the body will not function effectively.
The WHO states that it is also important for us to care for our mental health because it has a major influence on our condition.
Environmental, socioeconomic, and biological factors help measure whether or not an individual’s health is in optimal shape. Any form of disruption in these factors can impact mental health.
Factors That Influence Mental Health
Meaningful life occurrences could tremendously impact mental health. For example, an unexpected loss of a family member can cause mental health degeneration. In addition, social rejection, alienation, and other socioeconomic factors are potential triggers.
Too much tension, an unhealthy and poor lifestyle, and other forms of negativity in the environment could also deteriorate one’s mental health.
Mental Health Diseases
More than 400 million people are inflicted with mental health diseases. There is one individual in four highly at risk of potentially suffering from a mental health illness. Presently, more and more people are affected by mental health illnesses, yet help is not sufficient. Many people lack understanding and are doubtful of the truth behind mental health disorders and add to society’s stigma.
Forms Of Counseling
Counseling consists of several forms. The important thing to note in fruitful counseling is that you can identify the form that you are most convenient with.
· Psychoanalysis. This form of counseling allows you to contemplate your past. A qualified counselor helps you understand the explanations behind your behavior, actions, and thoughts in the present.
· Cognitive therapy. It is based on the concept that your emotions and actions are frequently a result of how you think. This form of counseling or therapy allows psychiatrists and counselors to help a person transform his feelings and thoughts so that he will be able to behave or feel better.
· Behavior therapy. This kind of counseling or therapy centers on altering unhealthy and unsolicited behavioral patterns and replacing them with healthy behaviors and routines by utilizing rewards, among others.
· Group therapy. An experienced counselor leads a group. It is a confidential setting where individuals with similar mental health concerns can share how they feel. The participants support each other when necessary.
Addressing Mental Health Concerns
Mental health disorders are often more difficult to resolve compared to physical conditions. One explanation for this is that it will already be too late to take action when an issue emerges. The individual inflicted with a mental disorder has already been affected by his problems.
Ultimately, early recognition is key to tackling mental health disorders. Counseling is one of the most suitable methods of addressing the primary cause of these types of disorders. Therapy with a psychologist can also help find the primary factors that have caused the problem.
Counseling or therapy sessions can tackle different kinds of mental health disorders, including:
Counseling assists you with your mental health concerns by assisting you to:
· Confront Your Trials. Counseling permits you to confront the various trials in your life. Your counselor helps you identify why you are suffering from your mental illness and help you healthily deal with them.
· Understand Your Illness. Your counselor works with you so that you can better understand what you are going through. As you discuss your concerns with him, you will be enlightened about the details behind your mental health concerns.
· Give Space For Recovery. Recognizing one’s mental health concerns is the initial step towards recovery. Release your negative feelings of the past so that you can give room for the moment and what’s ahead. Counseling shows you strategies to help you get rid of your triggers and find solutions necessary for healing.
· Change Your Present Behavior. Your counselor assists you in determining your present habits that aggravate your illness. He works with you in creating methods to modify your current behavioral patterns and habits that contribute to your mental health problems.
· Decrease Your Stress. Speaking with someone compassionate and understanding can definitely help you decrease the tension and stress levels you are experiencing. By doing this, you can express how you feel without being condemned or judged. Consequently, you feel better, and you will clearly understand your illness and eventually learn how to cope with what you’re going through.
Consulting a counselor for your mental well-being is a steady yet effective process that needs effort and time. Regularity is necessary for the counseling process to work. If one is not consistent and diligent in his treatment sessions, he will only go back to his previous state. Ultimately, consistency, patience, and perseverance are keys to complete healing and recovery.